Scientific area: Environmental Science and Technology
Total working hours: 156
Total contact time: 26
This course unit introduces the most fundamental concepts, tools and variables in land planning which can be used in terms of environmental management. The course unit also aims at demonstrating that land planning and the environment are complementary, which can be used as acts which are coordinated and irreplaceable, not oppositionary. It is also introduced the concept of urban metabolism and sustainable cities.
• Identifying and analysing institutional and conceptual structures in land-use planning. • Explaining and knowing how to use the main phases of a planning project. • Knowing when and where different methods of research and land-use planning processes should be applied and their integration with the environment. • Developing forms of strategic thinking and coordinated action in land-use planning • Understanding the application of different land-use planning tools and their order of importance and integration.
1. Introduction to land use planning and land use management: main concepts and concept of urban metabolism
2. land use management schools and land use management process
3. land use management tools in Europe and Portugal
4. The state of land use management in Europe and Portugal
5. Public participation in land use management in Portugal
Alves, R. M. A. (2007). Políticas de Planeamento e ordenamento do território no estado português. Textos Universitários de Ciências Sociais e Humanas. Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian e Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia. 641 pg.
APA(2008). Guia Agenda 21 local. Um desafio para todos. Manual. Agência Portuguesa de Ambiente.
DGOTDU (2007) – Guia das Alterações ao Regime Jurídico dos Instrumentos de Gestão Territorial. Documentos de orientação DGOTDU 03/2007, Direcção Geral de Ordenamento do Território e Desenvolvimento Urbano, Lisboa.
DGOTDU (2000). Guia Europeu de Planeamento para a Agenda 21 local. Tradução e Edição portuguesa publicada por Direcção Geral de Ordenamento do Território e Desenvolvimento Urbano , Ministério do Ambiente e do Ordenamento do Território Lisboa.
Randolph, J. (2004) Environmental Land Use Planning and Management. Island Press. Washington.
Continuous assessment is privileged: 2 or 3 digital written documents (e-folios) during the semester (40%) and a
presence-based final exam (p-folio) in the end of the semester (60%). In due time, students can alternatively choose to perform one
final presence-based exam (100%).