This seminar aims at the development of the doctoral thesis, based on the individualised supervision by the supervisor(s) and on the collaboration with the research community. Theoretical and methodological issues essential to the problematic under study will be valued, as well as the management and development of research. In this sense, the participation in conferences oriented by internal and external teachers throughout the course, as well as the integration in research groups/communities of the R&D units associated to the doctoral programme, constitute training opportunities for junior researchers in the scope of the respective research lines and also of the activities and projects developed by the doctoral students. It is also foreseen the participation of doctoral students in an annual conference of junior researchers in association with the research units of the DEEL.
Thesis; Timetable; Work in Progess; Scientific Communication
At the end of the course unit the learner is expected to be able to:
- Implement original research projects, scientifically and socially relevant;
- Evidence competences of research methodology in distance education and e-learning, respecting the rules of academic ethics.
- Evidence skills of data analysis and interpretation.
- Demonstrate skills in academic writing and scientific communication.
- Build empirically and theoretically based arguments.
- Contribute significantly to the advancement of theoretical and/or empirical knowledge in Distance Education and eLearning.
- Demonstrate capacity for critical analysis of ideas and methodologies used in Distance Education and eLearning.
The contents vary according to the topic and problem of the thesis to be developed by the PhD student. Throughout the course, the approach of specific scientific issues of individual research projects will include other aspects that are common to the development of all doctoral theses, among which are highlighted:
- Immersion in the field of research.
- The problematic and objectives, the research questions and hypotheses.
- The theoretical model as a guiding reference for the design and development of research.
- Iterative cycles of research and its relationship with the methods, techniques and instruments of data analysis.
- Dissemination of research work and materials in repositories and open platforms. CP6- Ethical issues in research.
Brause, R. (2000). Writing Your Doctoral Dissertation. Routledge Falmer.
Anderson, T., Kanuka, H. (2003). e-Research: Methods, Strategies, and Issues. USA: Pearson Education.
Cooper, R., & Desir, C. (2010).
Strategically reviewing the research literature in qualitative research. Journal of Ethnographic and Qualitative Research, 4(2), 88-94.
Jankowski, N. W. (2009). E-Research: Transformations in Scholarly Practice. New York: Routledge.
Simonson, M. (2005). Design-based research: Applications for Distance Education. Quarterly Review of Distance Education, April.
Será ainda sugerida bibliografia específica aos doutorandos, de acordo com o seu tema de tese e o progresso da investigação.
The seminar is based on a plan of periodic work sessions and presentation, by the student, of the developed research stages and discussion of it with the thesis advisor(s) and the research community.
The assessment will be qualitative, with the final result being considered approved or not approved. It will be based on the quality and dissemination of the research developed by the student, according to the defined schedule of activities, as well as on the solutions found for the problems considered in the development of the investigation.
Este seminário visa o desenvolvimento da tese de doutoramento, a partir do acompanhamento individualizado pelo(s) orientador(es) e da colaboração com a comunidade de investigação. Serão valorizadas questões teóricas e metodológicas essenciais para a problemática em estudo, bem como a gestão e desenvolvimento da investigação. Neste sentido, a participação em conferências orientadas por docentes internos e externos ao longo do curso, bem como a integração em grupos/comunidades de investigação das unidades I&D associadas ao programa de doutoramento, constituem oportunidades de formação de investigadores juniores no âmbito das linhas de investigação respetivas e também das atividades e projetos desenvolvidos pelos doutorandos. Prevê-se ainda a participação dos doutorandos numa conferência anual de investigadores juniores em associação com as unidades de investigação do dEDEL.