Students are expected to be able to:
• read, analyse and comment on documents relating to French society and culture;
• write a reading card;
• identify, analyse and relate the impact of French geography and land-use in the evolution of politics, economy and society;
• question the main facts, tendencies and French cultural and social disruptions in the 19th and 20th centuries;
• reflect and evaluate the French demographic specificities;
• feature and understand the main moments of industrial capitalism;
• identify the periods of growth and crisis that occurred during the 20th century.
FERRO, Marc, História de França, Lisboa, Edições 70, 2011.
SOURIAC, René, Histoire de France 1750-1995, Société, Culture, Tome 2, Presses Universitaires du Mirail, 1996 (pages 7-206).
A selection of Portuguese texts on French Society and Culture commented by Luís Carlos Pimenta Gonçalves will be provided during the semester.