Upon completion of this learning unit, the student should be able to:
1. Understand the theories of concepts, principles, and policies of integrated environmental management.
2. Explain, differentiate, and apply the different environmental management tools, namely, environmental management systems, integrated management systems, environmental audits, and sustainability performance assessment, and understand their applicability.
3. Understand the concept associated with Industrial Ecology and its connection with environmental management tools.
4. Interpret relevant legislation relating to EIA.
5. Understand the process of EIA and its limitations.
6. Understand how to involve different key stakeholders and public participation in an EIA process.
7. Design the types of products that may result from an EIA, namely: Scoping Proposals, EIS, environmental compliance reports, and Monitoring Reports.
8. Interpret and critically analyse the legislation related to Strategic Environmental Assessment.
9. Compose an integrative vision of all these instruments.