This course unit covers the main topics in Statistical Quality Control and Experimental Design, highlighting its developments, its importance and current relevance in solving problems in areas as diverse as Industry, Business, Agriculture, Biology, Medicine, among others.
Design of Experiments
Upon completion of this learning unit (LU), the student should be able to:
- Recognize the role of Quality Control in several areas of activity;
- use Control Charts as an aid to the Decision making in Process Quality;
- Identify plans in Acceptance Sampling;
- To know the principles of Experimental Design and know how to characterize the design for concrete situations;
- take advantage of the capabilities of a software and perform a critical analysis of the results.
1. Introduction to Statistical Quality Control
2. Control Charts
3. Acceptance Sampling
4. Introduction to Experimental Design
5. Experimental design with fixed, random and mixed effects
6. Complements: selected topics in Techniques of Development of Process Quality, Factorial Designs and Response Surface Methodology
7. Software-assisted examples (SPSS or R)
· T. A. Oliveira, Estatística Aplicada, Edições Universidade Aberta, 2004.
· D. C. Montgomery: Introduction to Statistical Quality Control, 5ª edição, John Wiley & Sons, 2005 (ou posterior | or more recent).
· Z. L. Pereira, J. G. Requeijo, Qualidade: Planeamento e Controlo Estatístico de Processos. Prefácio, 2008. ISBN: 978-989-8022-65-3.
· D. C. Montgomery, Design and Analysis of Experiments, 7ª edição, John Wiley & Sons, 2009 (ou posterior | or more recent).
· K. Hinkelmann, O. Kempthorne, Design and Analysis of Experiments, Volume 1: Introduction to Experimental Design, 2nd Edition, John Wiley & Sons, 2008.
· K. Hinkelmann, O. Kempthorne, Design and Analysis of Experiments, Volume 2: Advanced Experimental Design, John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
E-learning (fully online).
Evaluation is made on individual basis and it involves the coexistence of two modes: continuous assessment (60%) and final evaluation (40%). Further information is detailed in the Learning Agreement of the course unit.
Complementary readings will be available at the e-learning platform.