This course unit provides students with the theoretical and practical knowledge on Community Development. The concepts and different theoretical frameworks that can be applied to Community Development process (such as the contributions of Applied Anthropology, Sociology of Intervention and Systemic Approach). The different variables and agents of community work will be analyzed while using real case situations. Thus, the objective is to provide a way of learning in which the conceptual and theoretical analyses work together with intervention practices so that the student acquires the skills to apply the methodology of Community Development in several contexts.
Community Development Social intervention Intervention methodology Intervention fields
1. To recognize the practical applicability of community work;
2.To analyze the conceptual structure of community development;
3. To identify the contribution of applied anthropology, sociology of intervention and systems approach to community development;
4. To apply the methodology of community development in its various stages;
5. To identify emerging fields of practice of community development.
1. The process of social assistance in communities
2. The changes of setting in social intervention
3. Community Development: general framework
4. Sustainability and Community Development
5. Applied Anthropology and Community Development
6. Sociology of Intervention and Community Development
7. Community Intervention Methodology
8. Specific issues of Community Development
Carmo, Hermano (coord.); Esgaio, Ana; Pinto, Carla; Pinto, Paula Campos. 2014. Desenvolvimento Comunitário. Lisboa: Universidade Aberta. [ebook]
Burbano, Arizaldo Carvajal. 2009. Apuntes sobre desarrollo comunitário. Universidad de Málaga-España: Eumed.net
Pinto, Carla. 2012. Representações e práticas do Empowerment nos trabalhadores sociais. [tese de doutoramento]. Lisboa: ISCSP.UTL. Disponível: https://www.repository.utl.pt/handle/10400.5/4230
Robinson, Jerry; Green, Gary. 2011. Introduction to Community Development. Theory, Practice, and Service-Learning. Sage Publications. [capítulos 1 e 16]
Sousa, Lúcio. 2014. “Antropologia aplicada: desenvolvimento, modelos de trabalho e desafios éticos”. In Revista VERITAS, Díli: Programa de Pós-Graduação e Pesquisa da UNTL. Vol. 2, nº 4.. pp. 81-97
- specific other resources will be provided in the online classroom.
Continuous assessment is privileged: 2 or 3 digital written documents (e-folios) during the semester (40%) and a
presence-based final exam (p-folio) in the end of the semester (60%). In due time, students can alternatively choose to perform one
final presence-based exam (100%).